There is a growing body of evidence based research identifying the acidic environment of the mouth as a major contributor to the bacteria which causes bad breath and decay. The good news is that this is an easy environment to change. Using plain baking soda or a baking soda based tooth powder in place of brushing with traditional toothpaste is a safe and effective way to alter this acidic environment. The goal of this treatment is to change the acidic environment and to arrest the progression of dental decay in one or more of your teeth, prevent new lesions from forming, aid in teeth remineralization, and prevent further demineralization.
How Do I Use It?
- Brush and rinse with PLAIN WATER to remove food particles and debris.
- Place the TOOTH POWDER in the palm of your hand (approximately the size of a dime).
- Using a wet toothbrush, scoop up the powder.
- Brush teeth being sure to press the bristles to the gum line.
- Use soft picks to gently push the baking soda between teeth where possible. Floss remaining areas.
- Spit out excess.
- DO NOT RINSE, EAT OR DRINK for at least 30 minutes.
The Arm and Hammer brand of toothpaste and the Common Sense Tooth Powder both contain therapeutic level of baking soda whereas other traditional baking soda toothpastes do not and will not aid in the goals of this treatment.
*Common Sense Tooth Powder is a brand of baking soda based tooth powder with a slightly sweet, minty flavor. Some patients find this more palatable than plain baking soda. It is available in our office or can be ordered online.